Issues related to the hard drive can not be ignored, as all of our important files, documents, and photos resided on the hard drive. So it is always a good practice that the issues related to the hard drive must be fixed as soon as possible. There are multiple issues specifically related to the hard drive among such issues is a device which does not exist was specified. The error is very critical and in the worst-case scenario, you have to replace it with a new hard drive. Users have reported that the error doesn’t let users access one or more drives. Every time the users try to open the drive a device that does not exist was specified error occurs. In this guide, we will be talking about what are the possible causes that can trigger the error, and later on, we will be discussing its possible solutions.
Table of Contents
- Causes Of A Device Which Does Not Exist Was Specified Error
- Similar Types Of A Device Which Does Not Exist Was Specified Error
- How to Fix A Device Which Does Not Exist Was Specified Error
- 1. Restart Your System
- 2. Disconnect then Reconnect Hard Drive
- 3. Recreate the Partition Using Command
- 4. Replace the Hard Disk
Causes Of A Device Which Does Not Exist Was Specified Error
There are multiple causes of this error, users who have faced the issue have claimed that even the windows update can cause the errors. Basically, if your hard drive is used for a very long time, or it is old then occurring hard drive errors is common. As the sectors get corrupted and the health of the drive degrades as it ages. Furthermore, if you have been frequently formatting your drive, installing windows then also the A Device Which Does Not Exist Was Specified error might occur.
Similar Types Of A Device Which Does Not Exist Was Specified Error
- USB to serial windows 10
- USB flash drive
- SD card
- Hard drive
- A device which does not exist was specified cmd
- A device which does not exist was specified pso2
- Com port
How to Fix A Device Which Does Not Exist Was Specified Error
In this section, we will go over some ways by which you can tackle a device which does not exist was specified error and solve the issue. Although there aren’t enough ways to resolve the issues, still some users have found some workaround regarding this issue.
1. Restart Your System
If you have recently created a partition, shrink the drive, or formatted the drive then the first and foremost thing you have to do is to restart your system. Most of the users after making changes to the hard drive doesn’t restart their system and keep on getting the same this device cannot start. (code 10) a device which does not exist was specified. error. You have to perform a restart in order to make the changes effective. So it is recommended that after any changes you make to the drive be it creating another drive, partition, format, or other similar changes.
- STEP 1. Restart your system
- STEP 2. Then go to Computer Management > Action > Rescan disks
2. Disconnect then Reconnect Hard Drive
If the error persists even after the system then you have to manually disconnect the hard drive from the slot and then reconnect it. This method has solved multiple cases of this device cannot start. (code 10) a device which does not exist was specified error.
Sometimes even after restarting the changes don’t get active in order to completely apply the changes you have to disconnect the hard drive and then reconnect the drive. Make sure that after you disconnect the hard drive clean the port as well as the hard drive.
3. Recreate the Partition Using Command
Now there had been multiple scenarios where the graphical UI fails sometimes and the command works. So we will use the command-line interface and create the partition from the beginning it will fix a device which does not exist was specified.
- STEP 1. Open up a command window, also make sure that you run it with administrator privileges
- STEP 2. Now Launch Diskaprt Utility using the below command
- STEP 3. To see all the disks execute the below command
- STEP 4. Once you know which disk has to be partitioned, simply execute the below command
select disk 0
- STEP 5. Now completely clean it by the below command
- STEP 6. Now execute the below command just to make sure that the disk is still selected
- STEP 7. Make the partition Primary by following the below command
create partition primary
- STEP 8. Now select the newly created primary partition
select partition 1
- STEP 9. Activate the partition
- STEP 10. Using the below command we will format it with NTFS and assign a label to the partition
format FS=NTFS label=Data quick
- STEP 11. Assign a letter to the partition
- STEP 12. Finally, exit the disk part
- STEP 13. Hopefully, your issue has been resolved
4. Replace the Hard Disk
If any of the above methods fail to work then this device cannot start. (code 10) a device which does not exist was specified. windows 10 issues are very critical either contact customer care or you have to replace the hard disk with a new one. There arent any other methods that can help you.
A device which does not exist was specified is a very annoying error, even after formatting it using the disk management sometimes the issue doesn’t resolve. in this guide, we have covered some tips and solutions to fix the issue.
We hope your A Device Which Does Not Exist Was Specified issue has been fixed, for more similar guides follow us. Thank you!