An unknown error occurred is a very common yet rare error. As the error may occur due to almost any reason. But majorly the error has been experienced by users when using the iTunes applications, outlook, and any other third party application. The error may appear on your android devices or iOS device as well. Users have reported some very common scenarios in which the error appears like when downloading something from the browser when registering onto any app when using the iTunes and MS outlook. This troubleshooting guide aims to give you some important information regarding this error followed by methods to fix the error.
Table of Contents
- Causes of An Unknown Error Occurred Problem Issue
- Similar Types of An Unknown Error Occurred Issue
- How to Resolve An Unknown Error Occurred Problem
- 1. Basic Troubleshooting Points
- 2. Troubleshooting Error when using iTunes
- A). Update iTunes to the Latest Version
- B). Disable Antivirus & Firewall
- C). Disable Syncing PDF files
- 3. Troubleshooting Error when using Outlook
- A). Disabling Add-ins
- B). Repairing Corrupted PST files
- 4. Troubleshooting Error when using Azure Active Directory
Causes of An Unknown Error Occurred Problem Issue
Now when talking about the possible causes of this error. We have managed to gather most of the possible reasons why this error occurs in the first place. If you are experiencing this error when using iTunes there are fair chances the error is occurring because the iTunes version is outdated or any file or program is conflicting with the services. Furthermore, if the error is appearing when using the outlook it is because of corrupted outlook files, or add-ins. If you are experiencing the An Unknown Error Occurred error when using applications it may be because of the bad network.
Similar Types of An Unknown Error Occurred Issue
- The iPhone could not be restored (9)
- The iPhone could not be restored (10)
- The iPhone could not be restored an Unknown Error Occurred (14)
- The iPhone could not be restored (4013)
- The iPhone could not be restored. an Unknown Error Occurred (2015)
- The iPhone [device name] could not be restored
- The iPhone could not be restored an unknown error occurred (4010)
How to Resolve An Unknown Error Occurred Problem
In this section, we will be demonstrating all the methods that you can use to fix the An Unknown Error Occurred. Below are all the methods.
1. Basic Troubleshooting Points
Before you proceed to any of the methods, we highly recommend that you must go through all these points. Often these points are overlooked and iTunes could not connect to this iPhone. an unknown error occurred 0xe80000a error doesn’t resolve.
- Check your Network Connection: If you are experiencing this error while downloading or using any application your android or ios device. Make sure that the internet connection is working fine.
- Update the Application: Make sure that the app is running the latest version
- Disable your Antivirus: If you are using any application make sure to disable it.
- Restart your Device: If the iTunes could not connect to this iPhone an unknown error occurred 0xe80000a error is temporary it will be resolved with a simple restart.
2. Troubleshooting Error when using iTunes
If you are facing the how do you fix iTunes could not connect to this iPhone because an unknown error occurred issue when using iTunes follow the below methods.
A). Update iTunes to the Latest Version
Make sure to update your iTunes to the latest version to fix the An Unknown Error Occurred (9006) issue. The various error appears if your iTunes isn’t updated. Follow the steps to manually update iTunes.
- STEP 1. Open up iTunes
- STEP 2. Head over to the Help and click on it
- STEP 3. From the drop-down menu click on check for updates, download the updates and error will be resolved
B). Disable Antivirus & Firewall
Another cause of An Unknown Error Occurred (9039) iTunes while using iTunes is an active firewall and antivirus. Follow the steps to disable the firewall.
- STEP 1. Click on Start Menu then click on the Gear icon to Enter into Settings
- STEP 2. Go to the Update & Security Settings
- STEP 3. On the left click on Windows Security
- STEP 4. Now, on the left Click on Virus and threat protection
- STEP 5. Click on Virus and threat protection settings link
- STEP 6. Finally, Turn off the Real-Time protection shield
- STEP 7. Now try to reconnect your USB drive and perform operations to get rid of the error.
C). Disable Syncing PDF files
While syncing we suggest you do not sync any PDF files, users have reported that syncing the PDF files causes the An Unknown Error Occurred (-54) error to appear.
3. Troubleshooting Error when using Outlook
In this section, we will be giving you some methods to fix the An Unknown Error Occurred iCloud issue when using the outlook.
A). Disabling Add-ins
Add-ins are a good tool to increase productivity but often these create conflict in the services. So try disabling them to fix the iPhone could not be restored an unknown error occurred 9 error. Follow the steps to disable them
- STEP 1. Open outlook, now Click on File then Options then Add-ins
- STEP 2. Once you click on Add-ins, a section will open scroll a bit
- STEP 3. Now in the Mange make sure COM Add-ins is selected and then click Go
- STEP 4. A dialog box will appear with all the add-ins. now uncheck all the add-ins
- STEP 5. If you wish to uninstall select the add-in and click on Remove button
- STEP 6. Finally, click Apply then OK to save the changes
B). Repairing Corrupted PST files
Another cause of this issue is corrupted PST files. Follow the method to fix the issue.
- STEP 1. Open up My Computer
- STEP 2. Now navigate to the installation folder of MS Office, usually, its located at the below path
C: > Program Files (x86) > Microsoft Office > Office
- STEP 3. Once you get the Office folder, go to Organize > Folder and search options > View Tab
- STEP 4. Scroll down and choose Show hidden files, folders, and drives, and apply the changes
- STEP 5. In the Office folder, look for SCANPST.EXE and run the application
- STEP 6. Now Browse the .pst file location, usually located at below path
C: > Users > Your Account > AppData > Local > Microsoft > Outlook
- STEP 7. Once you have browsed hit the Start button
- STEP 8. It will scan the .pst file for possible corruption, once the process completes it will show all the errors
- STEP 9. Finally, to fix all the issues, click on the Repair button
- STEP 10. Now restart your system and your iPhone could not be updated. an unknown error occurred (14) issue will be fixed
4. Troubleshooting Error when using Azure Active Directory
We will fix this iTunes could not connect to this iPhone an unknown error occurred problem from troubleshooting. So follow the steps,
- STEP 1. In the Start Menu, type Run and hit Enter
- STEP 2. In the run window type appwiz.cpl, and then press Enter
- STEP 3. Now uninstall the below entries
- Microsoft Online Services Sign-In Assistant
- Azure Active Directory Sync tool
- STEP 4. Once the uninstallation is done, restart the system
- STEP 5. Now Reinstall the Azure Active Directory Sync tool
- STEP 6. Now check if the issue still persists
- STEP 7. If the error still persists, follow the steps below
- STEP 8. In the Start Menu, type Run and hit Enter
- STEP 9. In the run window type services.MSC, and then press Enter
- STEP 10. Now in the services window locate Microsoft Online Services Sign-In Assistant service
- STEP 11. Right-click on it and go to Properties, make sure that Startup type is set to Automatic
- STEP 12. Move a little below and hit the Start button to start the services, if it’s already running, Restart the service
- STEP 13. Now your iTunes could not connect to this iPad. an unknown error occurred 0xe80000a error will be resolved
This troubleshooting guide demonstrates all the methodologies and ways by which you can resolve An Unknown Error Occurred in all the major scenarios. Furthermore, the article also gives brief information regarding the causes of the issue.
By following the methods you will surely fix you An Unknown Error Occurred issue. For more guides and tips follow us. Thank you!