Today’s new media age has familiarized us with many content delivery mediums that you can use to engage your audience effectively. Video, for instance, certainly tops this list. Like any other digital content aspect, video editing software has done easy work of both amateur and professional video creators. In this blog, we round up some of the best video editing software in 2020. Be it a video for your friends, work project, or Youtube channel where you often need to add text to video; these video editors are bound to give you high-quality results.
When it comes to free software, there are a lot of options out there. These include the basic versions of VSDC, Lightworks, Davinci resolve, Hitfilm express, and Shortcut. However, with free software, there are minimal things that you can do. Unlike their paid counterparts, a lack of pro features can restrict your controls to just theme or template-based editing. Let’s explore some more polished applications that will let you enjoy the full extent of video editing.
Table of Contents
(Top 5) Best Software for Video Editing
If you’re looking for a smooth in-browser video editing experience, Wevideo is the application for you. Ideal for schools, businesses, and third-party media, this cloud-based application does all the heavy lifting without compromising features.
- 4K Ultra HD resolution
- Cloud storage
- Green screen
- Motion tiles
- Storyboard and multi-track editing
- Music library and Voiceover
- Text editing
- Built-in graphics
- Wevideo allows you to access your projects from different devices
- Lets you collaborate with other people using a team account
- You can easily share videos and editing access with your team.
- Simple UI for clear understanding
- In case of a sketchy internet connection, it might take a while to upload your footage.
Filmora is a reliable video editing software for those who take their video editing very seriously. Suitable for both video and audio, Filmora offers plenty of styling features, customization, and effects.
- 4K Ultra HD resolution
- Audio equalizer
- Video Stabilization with speed control
- Split screen
- Advanced text editing
- Overlay videos
- Color grading
- Auto color correction
- Screen recording
- Smart scene detection
- Noise reduction
- Automated audio sync
- Social import
- A major USP of Filmora is its split-screen feature that lets you play more than one video/audio track concurrently on the same screen.
- The user can drastically improve the video appeal by adding texts, animations, and other impressive effects.
- Filling up your timeline with a lot of videos and audio tracks can considerably slow down the program
Davinci Resolve Studio 16
Since the boom of user-centric video content on social media platforms, many non-linear-editors (NLEs) have locked horns to be the best. However, Davinci Resolve Studio 16 by Blackmagic design has stood out as one of the most intuitive video editor applications. The latest addition of new features checks all the boxes for video editors running on a tight deadline.
- Dual timeline (custom timeline settings)
- Intelligent edit modes
- Retime and transform with dynamic zoom
- Image stabilization
- Portable editing
- Face recognition
- Speed warp retiming
- Audio scrubbing
- Automatic color matching
- Smart and smooth encoding
- Auto color balance
- Immersive 3D sound
- Foley sound library
- Davinci Resolve boasts of the world’s most advanced color grading tools. Professional colorists can precisely edit high-res videos with their unique node interface,
- It is a complete video and audio editing tool. With features like foley sound library, audio scrubbing, and 3D sound, you can experience a range of audio capabilities.
- For those on a budget, Blackmagic Design also offers an online free video editor with nearly all the features of Davinci Resolve Studio 16
- If you’ve used other video editing software like Adobe Premier, the workflow and workspace of Davinci Resolve might be a bit tough to grasp.
Adobe Premiere Pro
Part of the popular Adobe Creative Cloud, Adobe Premiere Pro has everything that today’s pro video editor needs. Like other NLEs on the list, it is powerful enough to make elaborate videos and master edits. Since it also allows you to share projects, it is often an ideal pick for films, online videos, and broadcast work.
- Clip editor
- Video transitions and effect
- VR rotate sphere
- Supports multiple formats
- VR editing and video editing
- Video tilting
- Lumetri support
- Direct publishing
- Supports different types of files, and its workflow is specially designed for teams and collaborative projects.
- Works well with the adobe suite to bring in applications like Photoshop and AfterEffects for a seamless work project.
- Supports immersive Virtual Reality for VR editing enthusiasts.
- The long list of features can be a bit overwhelming for beginners
- It is a heavy application that requires a strong GPU and high processing power, not to mention available space.
If creating stunning special effects in a project a priority for you, HItfilm Pro is what you need. It is an NLE with high power visual effects creator built into the program. There are more than 800 effects, and there are tools for audio editing, color grading, and animation.
- Overlay videos and combine timelines
- Color coding
- 3D animation with 3D model import
- Green screen technology
- Mask editing and rendering
- Adaptive trimmer
- 360-degree video filters
- Doppler shift
- Audio mixer with Audio Hard Limiter
- Particle simulator
- Text and tilting
- Extraction and keying
- VFX library
- Hitfilm Pro supports custom 3D models along with custom lighting and shadows.
- It supports resolutions up to an impressive 8K, a vast range of file formats, and an extensive video/audio library.
- Compared to other video editing software on our list, Hitfilm Pro is relatively slow and is prone to lags or crashes when running heavy projects.
Every company or individual looks for an application that can be personalized according to their creative style and target audience. This is why no video editing software will offer the ultimate tools right off-the-shelf. An overview of this list can help you reconsider your choice based on various aspects like budget, special business needs, organization size, integration requirements, etc. Further research can help you narrow down on the best app to boost your productivity and hone your video editing skills.