While using a USB drive, you must have encountered the error which says Drive is Not Accessible The File or Directory is Corrupted and Unreadable Windows PC Error. This error occurs if a file, folder, FAT (File Allocation Table), MFT (Master File Table), or USB drive is damaged for some reason. If this the file directory is corrupted and unreadable error occurs with your system, then you are unable to access the data and files located on the drive leading to loss of the data. The RAW file system creates an illusion showing the drive to be just manufactured and that it hasn’t been formatted.
This shows an error code message like,
Let us look into some ways of solving the file directory is corrupted and unreadable problem.
Causes of The File or Directory is Corrupted and Unreadable Error:
There are many possible grounds for the error of The File or Directory is Corrupted and Unreadable Windows and it’s essential to know the root cause of this if you want to fix this error. So, some of the most common reasons for this are the file directory is corrupted and unreadable errors.
Due to some Physical Damage
Well, physical damage leads to many problems, and if you have damaged your computer physically, then you should be ready to face the consequences. The error The File or Directory is Corrupted and Unreadable Windows can also be caused due to such physical damage such as fire or water. In the file directory is corrupted and unreadable case, you will be required to take your PC to a professional repair centre.
Corruption in the File System
You must have seen, and some of you might even know that the default file system for data on devices is either FAT or NTFS. Pen drives are usually formatted in FAT 16 or 32 systems, and external hard drives are based on the NTFS file system as they have a storage capacity of more than 32 GB. Here any of them can be corrupted due to internal problems, which can lead to the error The File or Directory is Corrupted and Unreadable Windows.
Due to Physical or Logical Damage
This The File or Directory is Corrupted and Unreadable Windows error can also be caused by any physical or logical damage where logical damage includes devices that are encountered with bad sectors that are corrupted because of improper handling or virus attacks. And physical damage means damage which cannot be repaired.
How to Fix The File or Directory is Corrupted and Unreadable Error Issue
So here we are showing you some easy the file directory is corrupted and unreadable methods for fixing and resolving this type of Drive that is Not Accessible The File or Directory is Corrupted and Unreadable Windows 7 PC Error Issue entirely.
1. Check Errors with Chkdsk Command –
The Chkdsk.exe is a command-line tool provided by Windows for checking and repairing volume errors. To run this command, follow The File or Directory is Corrupted and Unreadable SD Card guide solution the file directory is corrupted and unreadable steps below.
- Click on the Start button.
- Type the command in the search box, but DO NOT press ENTER yet!
- Hold CTRL-Shift on the keyboard and press ENTER.
- You will now get a prompt dialogue box asking for permission.
- Click Yes in this dialogue box.
- The command prompt will open as Administrator
- Within the command prompt type chkdsk /f d: and then press Enter. D represents the drive with the unreadable partition. This will depend on the drive that is affected.
- It will take some time to complete The File or Directory is Corrupted and Unreadable process.
If the command doesn’t run and a message appears stating that Chkdsk could not run and whether you would like to reschedule the action after a reboot type Y and press Enter. Now Restart your PC and resume the disk check to fix this The File or Directory is Corrupted and Unreadable Please run the chkdsk utility error.
2. Formatting the Partition in Question –
In case the above the file directory is corrupted and unreadable step didn’t help you, and The File or Directory is Corrupted and Unreadable Windows delete partition is of not much importance, then formatting the partition is a recommended solution. The formatting process will configure the hard disk with a new file system, and then the old and the corrupted file system will get replaced. Note that all the files in the partition will be deleted.
So, if you are ready, Let’s see the Steps:
- Connect the external drive to the computer and then open Windows Explorer.
- Right-click on the disk and then choose the option “Format” item.
- Choose the file system format that you will need or just leave the default setting and then select the Quick Format option. Finally, click on Start for formatting the drive.
3. Check the Bad Sector of the Partitions –
PartitionGuru is a handy tool that can help you to recover data, and a backup system, manage partitions, check and repair the bad sectors, fix & solve The File or Directory is Corrupted and Unreadable Microsoft Word errors and much more.
- Download the PartitionGuru for free and then install the application. Once you launch the application, you can see an interface below. You can see that all the disk and partition information is highlighted in this application.
- Now, select the partition that was showing The File or Directory is Corrupted and Unreadable c drive error and then click on the menu Disk and then click on Verify or Repair Bad Sectors.’ The program will start scanning the partition.
After the scanning is over, it will show you how many bad sectors are present on your drive. It will also ask you whether you would like to repair them or not. Choose to repair the drive, and it may solve The File or Directory is Corrupted and Unreadable steam issue.
4. Recovering Data from Partition that is Corrupted or Unreadable –
In The File or Directory is Corrupted and Unreadable case the files present in the drive that showed the error is important, then you may want to improve them. PartitionGuru also helps in the recovery of files from the corrupted disk. Just follow the file directory is corrupted and unreadable steps below to get back the necessary files.
- If The File or Directory is Corrupted and Unreadable league of Legends problem is with the USB drive, then connect it to your computer. If The File or Directory is Corrupted and Unreadable Windows 7 issue is on the hard disk of your computer, then just launch the application PartitionGuru.
- If the file system in the corrupt partition was NTFS, you can select the drive and then choose Load Current Partition Intelligently from the Tools menu. If the NTFS drive isn’t severely damaged, then the files will show up in the PartitionGuru software without any scanning. Now you can just save the files anywhere you want. But note that this feature will not work for FAT partitions.
- In case the above step didn’t work out, then select the corrupted partition and then click the File Recovery button from the toolbar. Now in the Recover Files window, select Complete Recovery and then click on the Start button. This will retrieve files that are lost from RAW and also corrupted and formatted partitions.
- After the scanning, all the files will be displayed. If you select a file, then you will see a thumbnail in the lower part. You can preview all types of files here and then recover them by right-clicking on the file and selecting copy to and saving them in a safe location.
So, these were a few of the simplest methods for overcoming the error of Drive is Not Accessible. The File or Directory is Corrupted and Unreadable Windows 7 PC Error. I hope this The File or Directory is Corrupted and Unreadable Windows 10 tips were helpful for you, and if you face any similar issues like the file directory is corrupted and unreadable, we are always here to help you out.
If you face any problem while trying to solve Drive is Not Accessible The File or Directory is Corrupted and Unreadable Windows 7 PC Error, then comment down that issue here in the below comment section so that we can help you to fix the file directory is corrupted and unreadable error also by our other guides and tricky solutions.