A â€œrootâ€ is an account of the main administrator – a user with maximum entitlements. Under this acc, you can do plenty of interesting things on your phone previously prohibited by its developers.
â€œRoot accessâ€ on Android allows you to change the firmware on your smartphone or tablet, install apps on a memory card, have unlimited access to Google Play Store, and much more.
There are 3 types of root access:
- Full root – full and permanent rights without restrictions;
- Shell root – permanent rights without access to the \system folder;
- Temporary root – temporary rights that disappear after a reboot.
It is worth noting that on some devices (e.g., HTC Desire), the manufacturer sets the NAND lock which makes it impossible to get full root – only Shell or Temporary.
So, why do you need to root your Android? I will provide 3 main reasons.
- System access. Rooting your Android means to have full control over the system – change and delete any files, remove standard applications, change system themes and images when loading your phone. Thus, the user can easily protect his mobile device from unauthorized access. You can work with your communicator without even loading Android itself.
- New smartphone features. Getting roots for Android will allow you to transfer apps from your phoneâ€™s memory to the memory card, as well as transfer browserâ€™s cache there – the app2sd utility will handle this perfectly.
- Privileges on Google Play. To get full access to apps on Google Play, extended (root) rights are also required. Just because some applications you can not download and install as a usual “non-rooted” user.
There are several ways to get root access for Android. The most common is to install one of the programs like Universal AndRoot, Z4Root or SuperOneClick. However, before this, it is necessary to stop your antivirus, since it will determine these programs as harmful. We are obliged to warn you that after the â€œrooting,â€ the repair warranty may be lost. At the same time, we do not recommend this operation to inexperienced users, since even with a small violation of the instructions, your smartphone may simply fry.
Table of Contents
(Guide) How to Get Root Access for Your Android Phone?
Specialized programs provide root access to Android. In this article, we will take a look at several options. Before that, I would like to warn you that using one of them, and you risk to cancel the warranty service of your device.
However, advanced users can make sure that after the â€œrootingâ€ there are no traces of changes in the system files, and the warranty will then be valid. So, what programs give Root access to Android? These are the most popular ones: SuperOneClick, Unlock Root and Z4Root.
This useful software works great on Android devices of 2.1 to 4.0.3. Versions. However, it must first be installed on a PC running Windows, Mac, or Linux. If your â€œWindowsâ€ is still XP, then you will also need to download Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 or higher.
- After installing SuperOneClick on your PC, you should connect your smartphone or tablet via USB.
- Next, you want to select â€œDebug USBâ€ in the settings of your device and launch the app by clicking on the â€œRootâ€ button.
- After a while, the message â€œRoot files have been installed!â€ will appear on the screen.
This means that the procedure was successfully completed, and the enhanced root access to the Android OS is granted. Youâ€™ve got â€œrootsâ€ now!
Unlock Root –
Unlock Root is designed for mobile devices with Android 2.1 4.0 platform. This appÂ also assumes installation via PC. The scheme is the same as previous.
- Go Settings – System – USB debugging.
- Install the program on PC and run it. After clicking “UnRoot,” select the connected device, and the process will start.
- The progress will be displayed in the information line at the bottom of the screen.
- Refuse Power Save program installation offer and restart your device.
After a reboot, the user automatically becomes the superuser and is able to enjoy all the privileges of the root access.
Many users prefer Z4Root, as it does not require additional devices. As you understand, the two previous programs for Android root work through a PC-device connection via USB. But Z4Root can be installed immediately on a smartphone or tablet. It is enough to load the file with the .apk extension and save it to the memory card using the file manager.
Do not forget to mark the item “Settings” – “Unknown sources” – this will allow you to install files downloaded not only from Google Play.
- After starting the app, again press the “Root” button. The process will be shown at the bottom of the window.
- After a reboot, we start operating as a superuser.
Finally, we note that in addition to universal programs that provide root access for Android, there are those that are designed for specific models of mobile devices. An example would be the Unrevoked tool which can deal with the NAND lock on HTC smartphones.
An app that grants root access in just a couple of clicks. Perhaps this is the fastest way to become a superuser, because, among other things, you will not need to connect a smartphone (or tablet) to your PC or laptop.
The algorithm is quite simple – you need to download Framaroot and install the APK file. There is one option in the menu – â€œInstall Superuser.â€ After choosing it, you will only have to choose the version that will fit your device. In most cases, â€œAragornâ€ works just fine. After that, you will receive a â€œSuccessâ€ message. After rebooting the device, you will become a superuser with root access. By the way, you can at any time turn back into a normal one. To do this, select â€œUnrootâ€ in the app menu (instead of â€œInstall Superuserâ€).
Finally, a few tips before flashing your device:
- Google it and read carefully about stock and custom firmware for your device.
- Save the system/data area, because there is always a chance that something will go wrong and you will have to roll back to the previously installed firmware – use Titanium Backup.
- Before going to a service center, reset the firmware counter using Triangle Away.
Chief Marketing Officer at ITRate.co
Skills acquired: Brand analysis, social media campaigns, organic search rankings improvement, broad SEO and SMM knowledge, project management skills. Digital marketing guru and a tech geek.