How to get back into your system after forgetting Windows 10 password? If you are using a Microsoft account, it’s actually much easier to reset your password by simply visiting the Microsoft online password reset page. When you lost the local administrator password, you have to take use of the password recovery disk – Locksmith DaRT or PCUnlocker. Here’s a step-by-step walk-through of how to reset forgotten Windows 10 local user password easily.
Table of Contents
(Step-by-Step) Guide to Reset Windows 10 Password
Method 1: Using Locksmith DaRT
Microsoft Diagnostics and Recovery Toolset (DaRT) is a powerful set of tools that can diagnose, repair and recover access to your unbootable or corrupted Windows installation. But DaRT is only free and available to MSDN and TechNet subscribers. If you have got a copy of DaRT, you can use the built-in Locksmith tool to reset your Windows 10 password easily.
- Boot your computer from DaRT recovery CD.
- When you boot up to Diagnostics and Recovery Toolset, you’ll have several options available to you, including Locksmith, which is what I am going to use to reset forgotten Windows 10 password.
- It will open the Locksmith Wizard, just click Next to proceed.
- Select Administrator and any other local account, and enter a new password and confirm it. Click Next.
- At this point, you’ve changed the user password successfully. Reboot, and you can sign into Windows 10 with the new password you set.
Locksmith DaRT doesn’t work on Microsoft account and domain users. If you’re unable to log in to Windows 10 Microsoft account or you’re locked out of a domain controller, PCUnlocker can help you get in.
Method 2: Using PCUnlocker
PCUnlocker is a simple, powerful, dedicated and user-friendly Windows password recovery software. It can reset forgotten passwords to a local account, domain account and Microsoft account on all versions of Windows. Quickly get into your system even if your computer account is disabled, locked out or expired.
- To begin, use your friend’s computer to download PCUnlocker ISO image, and write it to a CD disk or a USB flash drive using the freeware ISO2Disc.
- Reboot your own PC from the CD/USB you just created. You’ll have to change the boot order in the BIOS in order to boot from CD/USB other than hard drive.
- When you boot up to the PCUnlocker program, It will show the list of users available in your Windows 10 system. Choose the user you need to reset the password of and click on the Reset Password button beneath.
- Restart the computer, and you will be logged into Windows 10!
Locksmith DaRT and PCUnlocker make password recovery as simple as possible so that users who are not tech-savvy enough can easily reset a forgotten Windows 10 password. So, if you think that you need to go through a complicated trick or exploit to break into Windows, then these softwares will change your opinion.