Error A referral was returned from the server is a windows error. The error appears when you perform any installation or run any sort of program or service. The error also appears when you try to update applications or drivers. The error is majorly seen in scenarios where a user run, update or install any app, driver, or service. For some users, the error started appearing after they update their windows. In other cases, the cause was related to the user account control. The error is not that critical and can be fixed using specific methods. Today in this article on troubleshooting the error. We will see some ways to eliminate this issue.
Table of Contents
- Causes of A Referral Was Returned From The Server Error Problem:
- Similar Types of A Referral Was Returned From The Server Error Issue:
- How to Fix A Referral Was Returned From The Server Error Issue
- 1. Changing the User Account Control Setting –
- 2. Changing Settings in the Group Policy Editor –
- 3. Using the Registry Editor –
- 4. Accessing the Hidden Admin Account & Using Compatibility Mode –
Causes of A Referral Was Returned From The Server Error Problem:
As from the introductory part, we can see that error is majorly related to the user accounts control and the services related to it. Error A Referral Was Returned From The Server windows 10 error appears because of some issues with the user account control. Furthermore, if your application has some compatibility issues with the os, then also this error appears.
- Issues while updating windows
- User account control issue
- Compatibility issue between system and the application
Similar Types of A Referral Was Returned From The Server Error Issue:
- Server 2016
- Https www repairwin com fix a referral was returned from the server error
- Print management
How to Fix A Referral Was Returned From The Server Error Issue
In order to resolve error A Referral Was Returned From The Server windows 10 Error, we have gathered a few methods that will help eliminate the issue. The following are the methods.
1. Changing the User Account Control Setting –
Since error A Referral Was Returned From The Server active directory error is related to the user account control. So in this method, we will make some changes in the default setting. Follow the steps.
- STEP 1. Open up the Run windows by Pressing Win + R key
- STEP 2. Here in the search field type control panel and press Enter
- STEP 3. Now in the Control Panel window, go to User accounts settings
- STEP 4. Here locate and click on Change User Account Control Settings
- STEP 5. Now drag the slider Never to Notify
- STEP 6. Finally, click OK, you may be asked to permissions click on Yes
- STEP 7. Now restart your system for fixing this error A Referral Was Returned From The Server PowerShell error.
2. Changing Settings in the Group Policy Editor –
In this error A Referral Was Returned From The Server active directory method, we will be tweaking the group policy editor, for the user account control setting. Follow the steps to see how it is done.
- STEP 1. Press Windows Key + R key to open up the Run window
- STEP 2. In the Run, window enter gpedit.msc, if you have been asked for permission click on Yes
- STEP 3. In the Group Policy Editor windows, on the left section of Local Group Policy Editor, navigate to
Security Settings > Local Policies > Security Options section
- STEP 4. Make sure you are on the Security Options, now on the right locate ‘User Account Control: Only elevate executables that are signed and validated’ Policy
- STEP 5. Right Click on the policy and go to Properties
- STEP 6. Here make sure to tick on Disabled checkbox
- STEP 7. Finally, save all the changes and restart your system for getting back of this error A Referral Was Returned From The Server windows 10 issue.
3. Using the Registry Editor –
If the above method fails to work, then follow this TeamSpeak 3 A Referral Was Returned From The Server active directory method. In this method, we will tweak the registry editor. Follow the steps now.
- STEP 1. Simultaneously press the Windows + R key
- STEP 2. In the run window type regedit and press enter
- STEP 3. In the Registry window Navigate to the following path
- STEP 4. On the right plane double click on ValidateAdminCodeSignatures
- STEP 5. In the Value data field put to 0, then click OK
- STEP 6. Now locate EnableUIADesktopToggle on the same right plane
- STEP 7. Double click on EnableUIADesktopToggle and put 0 in the Value data field
- STEP 8. Save all the changes and reboot your system to get back from error A Referral Was Returned From The Server LDAP issue
4. Accessing the Hidden Admin Account & Using Compatibility Mode –
In this error A Referral Was Returned From The Server active directory method, we will try to install the program using the hidden admin account.
- STEP 1. In the Start menu, type cmd and then hit Enter
- STEP 2. In the command window type the following command and hit Enter
net user administrator /active:yes
- STEP 3. Now restart your system, and you will see a new admin account log in with that account
- STEP 4. Now try installing, updating or running the program
- STEP 5. If you are still getting the error, right-click on the Program and go to Properties
- STEP 6. Now go to the Compatibility mode and click on Change settings for all users button
- STEP 7. Now tick on Run this program as an administrator checkbox
- STEP 8. Finally, click on Apply then OK
With this being the end of the article of error A Referral Was Returned From The Server windows 10 Error. We have mentioned all the methods using step by step guide. Furthermore, this article also tells us about the cause and effect of this error on the system.
For more articles like this, error A Referral Was Returned From The Server windows 10 on troubleshooting. Follow us. Thank You!