For a normal user or business operator, Microsoft Excel plays a huge role in the management and stock entries. It is widely used for maintaining perfect records because of it is easy to use platform which can also be used as an advanced engine by entering formulas and modules. However, at times, there are many issues when you try to open the Microsoft ExcelÂ file (.xlsx) inÂ the Windows 8.1, and many users have reported an error that states Microsoft Excel There was a Problem Sending the Command to the Program Word Windows PC Error Issue. The error as mentioned above looks just like in the image below.
This shows an error code message like,
There was a Problem Sending the Command to the Program
Donâ€™t worry the data file is at no harms here and there should not be any problem in the excel file, and the error message came only once. Now after clicking the OK button and then trying to open it again, it would open without any such problems. Some of you must have even faced it every time you open the file. It mostly happens every time you start your computer. So, whenever you reboot this error message will prevail to pop-up.
In this article, we are going to share some easy to use and understand ways to solve this minor but annoying problem once it for all.
You can also read:
- PS3 Emulator for Android
- Disable Xbox DVR
- YouTube Black Screen
- PS3 Emulator for PC
- Windows 10 Upgrade Stuck at 99%
Reason behind Microsoft Excel There was a Problem Sending the Command to the Program Word Windows PC Error Issue:
- Microsoft Excel File Error
- Microsoft Word File Error issue
- Windows PC problem
- Microsoft Office error
- Internet Explorer issue
- Autocad error
The KB article which was written by MicrosoftÂ reported that this issue mostly occurs due to theÂ â€œDDEâ€ also known as the Dynamic Data Exchange feature which is available on our computers. The DDE is a communication protocol used by the Windows for opening certain types of files.
Table of Contents
How to Fix & Solve Microsoft Excel There was a Problem Sending the Command to the Program Word Windows PC Error Problem Issue
In the description mentioned above, we showed the same error fix could solve two cases which users face based on their usage and both of them. If you are facing this Microsoft Excel There was a Problem Sending the Command to the Program Word Windows PC error only once, and then you can ignore the problem for now. Nothing bad will happen to your device.
However, if it is the other case happening to you and you are facing this problem for multiple times then you should try the following solutions to fix the error â€œThere was a Problem Sending the Command to the Program.â€
- Open Microsoft Office program and then open theÂ OptionsÂ window from File.
- Go to the advancedÂ tab and then scroll down to General section. Here you will find â€˜Ignore other application that uses Dynamic Data Exchange (DDE).’
- Make sure that it is unchecked.
- Apply the changes and then restart the Office program. The Excel There was a Problem Sending the Command to the Program problem should be fixed.
NOTE:Â If the option was disabled, then first enable it and restart your Office program. Now disable the option again and finally reboot the Office program once more. The There was a Problem Sending the Command to the Program Excel 2010 problem should be fixed.
If the above solution did not work for you, then follow this There was a Problem Sending the Command to the Program Word method. We are about to associate the Office program once again as the default application in order to open the file type:
- Right click on this Office file and then select â€˜Open withâ€™ option.
- For Windows 7 or earlierÂ versions, click onÂ the BrowseÂ button and for theÂ Windows 8 or later, click onÂ the More OptionsÂ and then click on â€˜Look for another app on this PCâ€™ option.
- Go to â€˜C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office.â€™ folder in the Browse dialog box and then select the correct .EXE file. If you are opening a .xlsx file, then choose the EXCEL.EXE file.
- That is it. This method should fix There was a Problem Sending the Command to the Program Excel problem.
At times, this There was a Problem Sending the Command to the Program Word error message appears when the â€˜Run as administratorâ€™ option has been enabled for this program. This can be fixed by using the following steps:
- Open the Start Menu or the Start Screen and then look forÂ Office program shortcutÂ which is the cause of this There was a Problem Sending the Command to the Program Word 2013 problem. For example Excel, Word, etc.
- Once you have found the shortcut, select the PropertiesÂ option by right clicking on it.
NOTE:Â If you are unable to find the Properties option, then first select the â€˜Open file locationâ€™ option from the context menu, and a new window will open. Now right-click again on the Office program shortcut present within the new window, and you will see theÂ PropertiesÂ option.
- Go to theÂ CompatibilityÂ Here uncheck all the given options especially the â€˜Run this program as administrator.’
- Apply the changes, and the There was a Problem Sending the Command to the Program Excel 2013 Windows 10 problem should be solved.
You may also try to remove the â€˜Dataâ€™ key from the Registry for fixing the There was a Problem Sending the Command to the Program Excel 2007 solved problem. This key stores the basic settings in relation to the window size, position, and the toolbars. If the key is deleted, it will reappear again as you launch the Office program. So you can eliminate this key from Registry without worrying.
The steps are:
- Press the WIN+RÂ keys together for launching the RUN dialog box and then typeÂ â€˜Regeditâ€™Â here and then press Enter to openÂ the Registry Editor.
- Search for the following key:
Â Â Â Â Â HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Office
- Here you will see subkeys with the names 0, 14.0, 15.0. This depends upon Office suite version installed in your device and thus can be different.
- Expand the 15.0 or any other number key that has the keys withÂ Word, Access, Excel, etc.
- Expand the key that is associated with the There was a Problem Sending the Command to the Program Word 2007 problem. If the Microsoft Word is causing the problems, then expand the WordÂ key, and you will seeÂ a DataÂ key here.
- Select the DataÂ key and then pressÂ Delete to delete it.
Now re-launch the Office program to see whether the There was a Problem Sending the Command to the Program Excel 2003 problem is solved or not.
You can also repair the Microsoft Office suite by following these steps:
- Open theÂ Control PanelÂ and then click onÂ the Programs and Features option.
- Click on theÂ Microsoft OfficeÂ entry present in this list and then click on the â€˜Change.’
- Finally, select the â€˜Repairâ€™ option and then click on the â€˜Continueâ€™ button.
It will repair the Microsoft Office files and should fix the There was a Problem Sending the Command to the Program AutoCAD issue too.
So, by following these simple steps, you will be able to get rid if this Microsoft ExcelÂ There was a Problem Sending the Command to the ProgramÂ Word Windows PC annoying error. However, if this There was a Problem Sending the Command to the Program Word 2003 PC methods does not work for you feel free to comment below, we are always here to help.
- The Operating System is not Presently Configured to Run this Application
- Asus Smart Gesture Not Working
- One or More Network Protocols are Missing on this Computer
- This App Can’t Open
- YouTube Material Design
- Windows Checking for Updates
- Network Settings are Blocking Party Chat
If you are facing or getting any type of any error while trying to solve Microsoft Excel There was a Problem Sending the Command to the Program Word Windows PC Error problem then comment down the error issue here in the below comment section so that we can help you in that too.