Windows media player is the default audio/video player that comes bundled with the Windows OS. It has the ability to play multiple file formats and still used as the main player by the users. If we talk about the evolution of windows media player, well it is quite old. The player first version came in windows 3.0 and since then it has been evolved a lot with major improvements and multiple format support. Moving on to our today’s guide a lot of users are facing windows media player encountered a problem while playing the file error when they try to open a file. If you are also facing a similar issue follow this guide. We will be covering all the possible ways to resolve this issue within a few minutes.
Causes Of Windows Media Player Encountered A Problem While Playing The File Issue
Talking of the causes behind this issue, there are some known reasons that trigger the error. For starters, if you are playing any file format that is not supported by the windows media player then it throws this error. Secondly, if the media is broken or corrupted then also the player throws out the error. Also if your file is infected with viruses then also you might experience the same issue. Furthermore, there might be some codec issues as well or the issue is temporary.
- File Format is unknown or not supported
- The file is corrupted or broken
- Outdated Windows Media Player
- Temporary issue
Similar Types Of Windows Media Player Encountered A Problem While Playing The File Issue
- Windows media player encountered a problem while playing the file reddit
- Windows media player encountered a problem while playing the file 2019
- Windows media player encountered a problem while burning the file to the disc
- Vlc media player
- Windows media player codec
- Windows media player encountered a problem while syncing the file to the device
- Windows media player download
- Windows media player cannot play the file
How to Fix Windows Media Player Encountered A Problem While Playing The File Issue
In order to fix windows media player encountered a problem while playing the file error issue. We have managed to gather some of the best working methods to fix the issue.
1. Use a third Party Player
Windows media player is a good player but it has some cons, first of all, it has not the ability to play all the latest file formats. Especially you are on Windows 7 or Windows 8. Furthermore, it is less in features.
The most easiest and effective way to fix the issue is to simply download a freeware third-party player from the internet and install it. Now open the file in that player and your issue will be fixed.
2. Update Windows to the Latest Version
In case you do not want to install any third-party media player the second effective way would be to install the latest version of the Windows. As of now Windows 10 is the latest, so if you are using windows 7, 8, 8.1. Then you must update your system.
- STEP 1. Go to the Start Menu and then on the right, click on Control Panel
- STEP 2. Now go to System and Security > Windows Update
- STEP 3. Now click on Check for Updates button
- STEP 4. Let the system download the update and install it
- STEP 5. Once your system is updated, check if the file is opening-up
3. Download and Install Windows Media Feature Pack
If your system is up to date then try this method. This method demonstrated the steps for downloading and install the Windows Media Feature Pack. The pack includes some additional codec that might be able to play the media file.
- STEP 1. Open up your Browser and open this link
- STEP 2. Now click on the Download button
- STEP 3. An executable file will start downloading
- STEP 4. Once downloaded install it and then try opening the file again
- STEP 5. Incase it fails to run, restart your system and try again
4. Disable Network Sharing Option
If you are trying to open a .wav format file, and it is not opening up, then chances are that the Network Sharing feature is turned on. You have to disable it to play certain file formats. Follow the steps now.
- STEP 1. Press the Windows+R key to open Run window
- STEP 2. In the empty field type Services.msc, then hit Enter
- STEP 3. While you are in the services window. locate Windows Media Player Network Sharing Service
- STEP 4. Once you have found it, double click to open its Properties
- STEP 5. Now Beside select Startup type to be Disabled
- STEP 6. Finally, Save the changes and restart your system
- STEP 7. Once restarted, try opening up the file
5. Reinstall the Sound Driver
If any of the above methods fails to work, then try reinstalling the Sound driver. Chances are that the driver is corrupted.
- STEP 1. If you have the Driver installation File, kindly install it
- STEP 2. Incase you do not, go the Internet and search your your computer manufacturer there you will find the sound driver
- STEP 3. Download it and install, then try opening up the file
The above troubleshooting guide talks about windows media player encountered a problem while playing the file error issue. We have briefly talked about the causes of this issue and various solutions that will be helpful in eliminating this issue.
We hope your issue is fixed. For more troubleshooting guides follow us. Thank you!