Among billions of devices and peripherals, there are many connectors for connecting one device to another, to charge, and transfer data. All this happens with the help of Port we find in the various devices. The most popular one is the Universe Serial Bus or USB. Another one who got attention from techie is Thunderbolt 3. Its predecessor performed quite well, but the cost made it difficult to gain popularity. Most of the devices lack Thunderbolt cable to keep selling price low. Intel comes up with a new solution as standard passive USB C cables. Apart from all this, let’s have a comparison on both USB and Thunderbolt 3 connector. So here we are going to compare Thunderbolt 3 vs USB CÂ Cable. So just check it out,
Table of Contents
About USB C –
Universal Serial Bus C or only USB C, also USB type-C is a highly demanding and favorite peripheral connection type that we find in today’s device. This 24-pin connection system is different from another connection peripheral due to its two-fold rotational-symmetrical connector. It makes sure that transmission between the devices is appropriately done with substantial speed.
- USB-C provides a two-way connection system connecting both the host and devices. It is the remarkable feature of USB C making it widely used in billions of devices.
- After the entry of USB type C, many cable and connectors with USB-B and USB-A have been replaced with it. Moreover, it is downward compatible with all other USB Protocols.
- Another noteworthy feature of this type is future proof meaning it will play a prominent role for a future For transmission purpose, it is the best and if fact it will continue to rule dominating other types.
- An essential function of USB C us alternate mode that let the pins to be repurposed for another function.
The primary feature of any connecting peripheral is to supply efficient transmission of data with speed along with appropriate durability, the rate of transmission, etc. The predecessors already served excellent work but now passing out a legacy, the current and the latest USB-C is highly improved and able to deliver much better data or charge. No doubt, it is efficient enough beating predecessor and providing the better user experience.
Many versions and types of USB are available today. However, USB C is faster twice than USB 3.1. Apart from all this, it looks quite the same as a micro USB connector but actually, it is more oval-shaped and a little thicker.
About Thunderbolt 3 –
Intel is a great player of tech products. It utilizes the power of Moore’s Law to bring smart, connected devices to every person on earth. The company is driven to take a risk in a disciplined manner. With Thunderbolt 3 interface, Intel proved it know to create something that people will accept, and now it has developed a sharp image, a close bond with its customers.
Intel announced this entirely before that merges with USB C to deliver faster data transfer. There is no competition between both of them; instead, it combines together to make a perfect blend.Â Thunderbolt 3 is a superset of USB C which shows that we will have one port and cable to connect all peripherals in the future. It allows you to connect hard drives, displays including 4K and 5K resolutions, and other peripherals, like PCIe Gen 3 expansion cages, to your desktop or laptop. Apple embraced Thunderbolt 3 and released a few devices with the same port. After all, it is widely known for the luxury brand, so if adopted this technology because of extensive features.
Significant Features –
- Thunderbolt 3 has the Lowest latency for PCI Express audio recording.
- It uses the latest USB type C port whereas the previous version had a Mini Display Port style connector.
- Apply is using Thunderbolt 3 as it can do a lot of things with a single cable.
- Thunderbolt 3 is backward-compatible with earlier versions of Thunderbolt, but the new port type requires adapters to use legacy Thunderbolt devices.
- Thunderbolt 3 devices use discrete Thunderbolt chips to function; it will not work if plugged into a USB-C port.
- Thunderbolt is a bit expensive as the cable itself is 10 times more expensive than a USB cable of the same length.
- The most attractive feature of Thunderbolt 3 is its versatility.
- Thunderbolt 3 can connect multiple displays and supports two 4K displays at 60 fps, one 4 K display at 120 fps, or 1 5K display at 60 fps.
- Nowadays, PCs that comes with Thunderbolt 3 have enough performance to drive external graphics.
- One surprising and most different thing about Thunderbolt 3 is the potential for Daisy chain devices together up to 6 devices.
Thunderbolt 3 come into existence as a light peak which was too costly and even used to work slower. But Thunderbolt 3 is entirely different which delivers the super speed of 40 GB/s. Intel wants to provide not only a faster port but also a more unaffected, versatile port. USB seems difficult to sustain but undoubtedly it’s affordability will keep it between us. It is expected that in the upcoming days, people will hardly find any laptop or PC without Thunderbolt 3 port.
Basic Uses of Thunderbolt 3 –
Currently, Thunderbolt technology is available on Intel processor which is absent in most of the mobile device. We have listed some uses of Thunderbolt 3 below.
Connection to USB Camera:
With the help of an adapter, USB camera can be connected with Thunderbolt 3 port and thus making the connection process go effortlessly.
- Other accessories or devices that can be connected with the Thunderbolt 3 port includes printers, scanners, and cameras, to external drives, displays, etc.
Connection to TV:
For using your TV as a display device there is a minimum effort needed to do so.
- Thunderbolt 3 makes a great use and assist in connecting your device equipped with the same with TV.
- It enables you to use your television as a display device for your Mac or any other.
- To connect your Mac to your television, you need a video cable that will connect your computerâ€™s display port to the video input port on your TV, and in case if you don’t find, there might be a need of adapter for cable.
Connection to Old VGA:
For connecting with a VGA display, you will need an adapter for this also. It will cost a little but worth to do when such a feature you want to enjoy using. Moreover, you will even get a USB-A port for connecting a USB device at the cost of around $79. It works as a USB C charging port too to keep your laptop battery healthier.
- The only thing you need an adapter and you are done. Connection to old VGA can be made quickly.
Connection to 3.5mm Jack:
The only way for connecting to 3.5 mm jack is to use type-C to 3.5 mm adapter or type-C headphones. A vast range of laptops exists with Thunderbolt 3 technology. Adapters are profoundly significant while making a connection with other connectors.
Some devices support Thunderbolt 3 which are as follows. The list would be too long if we listed all.
- Acer Aspire Switch 12S
- Alienware 13
- Apple MacBook Pro 13
- Dell XPS 13 9360
- Apple MacBook Pro 15
- Asus ROG G501VW
- Gigabyte Aero 15
- HP Omen 15
- Alienware 15
- Dell Precision 15 3000 Series
- Lenovo IdeaPad Y900 / Y910
- HP ZBook 17
- MSI GT83VR Titan Pro
- Dell Precision 17 7000 series
- Acer Predator 15
- Acer Predator 17
- Lenovo ThinkPad T470s
- Lenovo ThinkPad 25
- HP Spectre x360 15
- Asus Zenbook UX550VE
(Guide) Thunderbolt 3 vs USB C Cable: Which is the Best?
So here we are going to show you the comparison on Thunderbolt 3 vs USB C Cable. So you will get to know everything about Thunderbolt 3 vs USB C. So just check it out,
- Regarding power, obviously and necessary both will be equivalent.
- Laptops generally than on the power of 60 watts. To deal with this, Thunderbolt 3, as well as USB type C, works accordingly.
Data Transmission Rate:
- Every laptop or phone requirement is different, so various accessories and devices are made to cope with the specifications of both.
- Data transmission rate entirely depends on the type of material it is made of, and the capacity of the cables also matters.
- Thunderbolt 3 is not only meant for Apple devices. The fact is, Apple was the early adopter of this newest Intel technology.
- Thunderbolt 3 supplies the fastest connection to an existing dock, display or device.
- It transfers data at the surprising speed of 40 GB/s, 8x times faster than USB 3 and, 2x times faster than the predecessor.
- While using long passive cable, the transmission speed decreases to 20 GB/s but yet it is quite enough for speed data transfer.
- It is a specific feature that can’t be avoided when talking about connectors.
- This feature primarily enhances so-called user-friendly functionality along with improving compatibility and usability.
- Being reversible means that it can be connected to both sides.
- Thunderbolt 3 allows receiving and transmitting data simultaneously meaning it is bidirectional.
- You don’t have to worry about plug orientation or cableâ€™s direction as both of the connectors are reversible.
USB Power Delivery:
- USB type-C is capable of supplying enough power, e., up to 100 watts to charge a high-power device. Thus, reducing the time taken to charge. Thunderbolt 3 does the same, so here there may be no difference. Also, it provides 15W to bus-powered devices.
- It is easier to charge your laptop instantly with either one of them.
- The amount of power supplied by both is excellent.
USB C lacks the capabilities of Thunderbolt while the latter has the capacity of USB C. Both are equal in terms of design. When it comes to speed and video quality Thunderbolt 3 gives a more excellent performance in comparison to USB C. Frankly saying, Thunderbolt 3 surpass USB C at some point, and thereâ€™s a chance that it will be adopted in future by the majority of people. We can conclude that Thunderbolt 3 has a bright future and a new era is going to begin. So this is everything about this comparison Thunderbolt 3 vs USB C article. Hope you like this Thunderbolt 3 vs USB C comparison.
If you any query or want to add something in this Thunderbolt 3 vs USB C comparison guiding article then let us know through the below comment section.